The following are some of the main objectives of the MMRI:
- Provide a focus for high profile research activities in the field of manufacturing engineering. Such a field is multi-disciplinary in nature and the MMRI promotes academic cooperation between the participants.
- Foster long term, pre-competitive, fundamental research that will have universal applicability, free from restrictions related to ownership of intellectual property, or the type of education the students involved will receive.
- Provide a vehicle for University-Industry interaction in the field of Manufacturing Engineering. MMRI provides an organization to aggressively promote, encourage, and perform fundamental and applied research, in cooperation with industrial partners.
- Educate Master's and Ph.D. graduate students so as to satisfy the current and projected need for people with this type of training in industry. The Institute will also provide significant support for the education of undergraduate B.Eng. and B.Tech. students.
- Provide systematic mechanisms for technology transfer and diffusion of knowledge and research results. These mechanisms will include contractual research and development projects, research reports, short courses, workshops/seminars, and training facilities for industry employees to further their knowledge.
- Provide a vehicle to enable industry and the community at large to become more fully aware of the unique capabilities and contributions of McMaster's research investigators in manufacturing.